Monday, July 16, 2018

W6/NC-373

This peak is one of the uninteresting drive-ups in the Santa Cruz Mountains. I think of this peak as Jackrabbit Peak, since Jackrabbit Road leads to the top. The high point of this peak is in someone's backyard.
On the air.
I took 17 south to Glenwood Drive, to Weston Road. Weston appears to be a private road, but the gate was wide open when I went. Near the top of the hill I turned onto Jackrabbit, and drove up to the top. There is a section of the road that is in the activation zone, and I parked and operated from here.
Not a scenic summit.
There was plenty of service, and I had no trouble sending out spots. I did have trouble getting chasers, though I did get five eventually, on 30 and 20. After working everyone who called, I packed up and headed down, over to Chalk Mountain, the nicest one of the day.

Trailhead: Top of Jack Rabbit Ridge Road
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Drive up.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment