Monday, July 16, 2018

W6/CC-062 Santa Rosalia Mountain

This was my second time up to this summit for an activation. The first time, two years ago, it was the very first SOTA activation I had ever done. I had not carefully read the map, and ended up hiking over 20 miles, having started near Aptos. This time, however, I was more prepared.
Up the road.
I parked at the Highland Way - Buzzard Lagoon Road intersection, and set off up Buzzard Lagoon Road. As others have noted, it is well graded for the first mile or two, and easily drivable, but I wanted a walk. After around a mile I turned right onto the Aptos Creek Fire Road. This road is steeper and rougher than the first road.
Up on the summit ridge.
The trail was nicely shaded for most of the hike, and I only saw a few bikers while on my way up. The fire road goes around the true summit, but there is a use trail that goes up the last few feet to the high point. There is no point that is definitely the highest, so I walked around a bit until I found a good area to set up in.
View from the operating position.
As soon as I stopped walking and put my bag down, red ants started crawling over it and me. I looked around for a better place to set up, but I didn't see any ant-free locations. Instead I just put up my antenna and stood for the activation. I had no cell service on top, so I relied on RBN to spot me. It did after a few CQs, and I quickly got four contacts into the log. Since the ants were so bad, I didn't try other bands, I just packed up and hightailed it out of there.
The only view, of a fog-covered Monterey Bay.
The hike down was quick, and I passed a lot of bikers heading up and down. Just after passing the sign marking the park boundary there was a van unloading a bunch of people and bikes. They were probably going to bike downhill back to the coast, which seems like it would be a fun ride.
Happy to be out on such a nice day!
Trailhead: Highland Way-Buzzard Lagoon Road intersection.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take Buzzard Lagoon Road up, then turn right on Aptos Creek Road.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment