Tuesday, June 4, 2019

FL/NO-058 Bois Bryas

This peak was my first in France and first in continental Europe. I was visiting my sister in Brussels, and decided to take a few days to do some SOTA. After picking up a car, I drove down to this peak.
The car from where I operated.
This was my first time in this region, and it is beautiful. The rolling hills and all the green trees were a treat for someone used to California's climate.
I found a pullout along the D8051 road that was in the activation zone. The activation zone is fairly large, as is the case for most of the summits in the Ardennes region. There was some open woods behind it with a faint trail, and I setup along the trail. I was expecting a large pileup, but I only got a few contacts on 40 and 30, including a summit to summit. I discovered the next day in Luxembourg that the cable connecting the radio to the tuner had gone bad.
The view down the road from my parking spot.
There were a few other summits I wanted to do before going to Luxembourg City, so I didn't spend a long time on the top. After packing up I drove over to Les Dames de Meuse to get a second French summit.

Trailhead: Pullout on the side of road D8051.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Map 
Route: Find somewhere to park in the activation zone.
Red Tape: None that I'm aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment