Thursday, September 3, 2020

W4V/HB-030 Short Mountain

 Immediately after coming down from Waonaze Peak I continued up the gravel road for about half a mile to where the Massanutten Trail turns off. There is a small pullout with enough space for about two cars here if you don't like walking.

Big green trees.
The Massanutten trail is very well maintained here, and well graded. It was an easy walk up the hill to the top of the ridge, where it gets significantly flatter. There weren't as many spider webs here as on the other side, but I still walked through some big ones on the way up. 
Big spider web. Managed to avoid this one.
On the summit I set up my antenna along the trail. I put out a spot, but didn't get nearly as many contacts as I did on the earlier summit. It was still gray and overcast, and I was quite damp from sweating in the humidity. The slight breeze cooled me off very quickly, so I didn't stay too long on the summit. 
Summit of the mountain.
I ran down the hill, making it back to the road just as it started to rain. It was great timing.

Trailhead: OHV parking area, Edinburg Gap, VA 675
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Head up the road to the Massanutten Trail, then follow the trail to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment