Thursday, September 3, 2020

W4V/HB-041 Meneka Peak

 I had one more afternoon off before coming back to California, so of course I went to the mountains for some hiking. I headed back to the Fort Valley, but this time stayed at the northern end to climb Meneka Peak. There is a large parking lot, signed for Signal Knob. Park on the right side, where the trail leaves from the end. 

Up the trail.
It was much sunnier today than on my last visit to the area, but this also meant it was much hotter and more humid. You just can't win. Again, I took the Massanutten Trail up the hill to the top of the ridge. This trail was very rocky, and reminded me of the AT in Pennsylvania.
One of the rocky sections.
It rained on me briefly as I was going up, but it was just a passing shower. I was slightly concerned about the weather, since the chances of rain went up as the day went on. 
The Fort Valley Overlook. Not that impressive.
Up on the ridge there is a junction where you need to turn left off the Massanutten Trail and onto the Tuscarora Trail for the last half mile up to the summit. It is well signed. I went that way and was soon on top. There are a number of campsites along the ridge and at the summit. They look nice, but I wouldn't enjoy carrying all my water up.
The summit.
I had some cell service, so I was able to spot myself once I put up the antenna. I made contacts on all three bands. Forty meters was pretty noisy, and once I realized it was from lightning I decided to pack up and head down. Don't want to be on a peak in an electrical storm.
Good viewpoint on the way down.
It got overcast as I went down, but the rain held off until I had got back to the hotel and was getting dinner. This was overall an easy hike and a fun day.

Trailhead: Signal Knob parking lot, VA678.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the Massanutten Trail up to the ridge, then turn right onto the Tuscarora Trail for the final climb to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment