Thursday, September 24, 2020

W6/SS-636 Alabama Hills High Point

 After hiking up another of the Alabama Hills, I continued driving down Movie Road to get the high point. Just down the hill from the col there is a large parking area. I parked here and walked back up the road to the base of the climb.

Welcome sign across the road from the parking.

The first part of the climb is an easy walk up the hill. However, the top is covered in large boulders.
Getting near the summit.

The final climb to the top is a class 3 scramble. I stayed on the west side and managed to find a route up. I came down farther east and the route was much easier. From the col north of the summit, I would recommend staying east.
Operating position.

I managed to find enough space to string out my antenna, and got on the air. I didn't spend as much time as the previous peak, but still got plenty of contacts.
Looking towards Whitney Portal. Parking area on the right.

After picking my way down from the top, I drove into Lone Pine to kill some time before heading up to Whitney Portal to spend the night before climbing the peak.

Trailhead: Movie Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike and climb up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment