Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Windy Hill

 I had a new pair of shoes, and what better way to break them in than a trip to Windy Hill? 

Pretty close to sunrise.

I headed to Portola Valley, where I got one of the last spots in the official parking lot. It seemed like it would be busy on the trails, but I was pleasantly surprised to be wrong. I made a loop of it, going up the Spring Ridge Trail and down the Lost and Razorback trails.

Looking up at the summit.

The way up was generally steeper and in the open. I was glad it was still early and hadn't warmed up too much or I would have been miserable in the heat. I got plenty of good views of the peak ahead of me and Portola Valley and the Bay Area behind. Definitely a trail that would be good in either direction!
Black Mountain was not very far away.

After a pleasant hike up the hill I made it to the summit. I had it to myself, and I took the opportunity to take some pictures. I still had plenty of miles left though, so I didn't spend too long. I stopped by the slightly lower summit, but there wasn't much interesting there either. 
Down through the woods.

The descent was mostly in the forest, where it was cool and shady. I only passed a few people. My guess is that the more direct routes are more busy. There were plenty of switchbacks on the way down, which made for a pleasant run. Down near the bottom the trail ends and there are a few sections where you have to run on a paved road. It wasn't ideal, but at least it wasn't very long.
Nice stone bridge.

The flat section near the parking lot had lots of people. Back at the car I vacated my spot to let the next lucky person park in the lot.




No comments:

Post a Comment