Thursday, November 2, 2023

W6/ND-224 Government Peak

This desert peak south of Ridgecrest is either really easy or a long slog, depending on your vehicle. I had a Jeep, so it was really easy. Don't follow Google Maps, it tried to take me down closed roads, and didn't know about roads that were easy to drive on. Someone on peakbagger posted a GPS track of the route described here, https://peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=1133044, if you like pictures more.

From the south end of the small town of Red Mountain, head west on Osdick Road. This curves to the south and becomes Butte Ave. A short distance down Butte, turn right onto Randsburg Mojave Road. All of these roads are dirt, but would be passable in a sedan. 

Next, turn right onto R20, which is also called R16. From here the roads get rougher, and sedans may not be able to make it. Finally, turn north onto R85 or R83, depending on the map or sign, and follow that to the col below the summit. I parked at the col to get some walking in, but you could drive all the way to the summit.

Looking over at Fremont Peak

It is less than half a mile to the summit. I set up just below the road, to get away from the towers a little. There was good cell service, and I quickly got plenty of HF contacts. The wind was blowing, but it was reasonably warm, so a light windbreaker was enough. I drove down the same way I went up. The tire tracks were fresh enough in the dirt I could follow those when I got to intersections. Back on the highway I drove a few miles down the road to get El Paso Peaks.

Trailhead: Col below the summit.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: See post for driving description.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment