Thursday, November 16, 2023

W6/ND-169 Red Mountain

This was the final peak I was able to do on my 2023 desert trip. The trailhead is in the aptly named town of Red Mountain, along 395. Turn north onto Trona Road, then an immediate right onto the dirt road with the big pullout. Google calls this Steamwells Road. I was only able to drive about a quarter mile down the road in a sedan, but real OHVs could get much farther.

Summit on the right.

The roads in this area all had signs. I followed road 108. This winds its way to the base of the mountain, then goes up to a col north of the peak. The road was pretty rough in places; no problem for someone on foot, but could require some skill to drive. The climb to the col seemed easier than I expected. At the col there is another road that heads south up to the crest of the ridge.
Ridge near the summit.

After a very steep climb, the road levels out and ends at a dry pond. It seemed like an area that people camp at for fun. I found bits of a trail that lead higher, but nothing formal. The ridge crest is fairly rocky, but it was not hard to find a way up the next steep section. On top was a wide, gently sloped part of the ridge. It was easy walking, and I enjoyed the views. After going over a sub-peak, you drop a short distance down, then climb up a rocky area to the summit. From a distance it looks like there are some cliffs, but they are not bad to traverse.
Desert views.

There was a lot of debris at the summit. I put up my antenna and got busy making contacts. Cell service was good on top. The bands cooperated, and I had no problem getting my contacts. There was a rock with some graffiti scratched in. One was dated 1907. I wonder if it was real, or just some prankster.
Really from 1907?

I retraced my steps to get down. The creosote really hid the car, so I had to pay attention at the bottom to make sure I ended up back where I wanted to. But I did it, and headed back to town for lunch.

Trailhead: Pullout on Trona Road, or as far up 108 as you can drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Follow road 108 up to the col, then the spur road to the dry pond bed. Cross country up to the summit along the ridge.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment