Wednesday, August 22, 2018

TF/SL-079 Blahnukur

This was the second peak I did, after Haalda in the morning. I ate lunch with my family at the Landmannalauger Hut, then set out. Since they had climbed the peak earlier, I knew where to look for the bridge across the river. After crossing it, the next challenge was to find the trail up to the summit. A few minutes of looking, and the trail presented itself. The trail climbs up at a healthy grade, but not so steep to be unpleasant.
Looking down into Green Canyon.
There is a small false summit, then a final climb up to the top. The summit area is rather narrow, with steep scree slopes on either side. There was a group on the summit when I arrived, so I continued past the summit a few meters to a flat area just below the summit. There was enough space on the side of the trail here to set up off the trail and still be in the activation zone. I had to make a small pile of rocks to support my pole, but was on the air quickly.
After a few CQs on 20 I had a smaller pileup than earlier, but had no trouble working plenty of stations. I tried calling on 30, but didn't get any takers. Tuning around on 40 I heard a bunch of stations, and tried calling, but they couldn't hear me.
Haalda on the right, in the clouds.
I had to get back down in time for dinner, but I could have spent much longer on the peak. It was beautiful on the summit, with great views all around. To get down I continued around on the trail, heading down the backside of the peak. At the very bottom, just before the river, there was a short section that was very steep and eroded. It looked like most people were having trouble, but I trusted my boots and just went down. There was no good place to cross the river, but I eventually found somewhere where I crossed, only getting my toes wet.
The trail then crossed the edge of the lava field, then dropped back down to the camping area and hut. I made it back with plenty of time to spare before dinner, which I enjoyed on the porch with my family. The next day we planned to start hiking the Laugavegur trail, to Hrafntinussker Hut.

Trailhead: Landmannalauger Hut. Very rough road into the hut - take the bus or have a high clearance, 4wd car.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Hikes map.
Route: From the hut, walk past the campsite and the horse corrals, then head up the ridge to the summit. Trail is well worn and easy to follow.
Red Tape: None that I know of.

No comments:

Post a Comment