Monday, August 27, 2018

W6/NC-542 Point Reyes

On my way from Point Reyes Hill to Point Reyes, I stopped at KPH, the old ship-to-shore commercial station. They are open Saturday afternoons, and give tours of the station. If you know code, they'll let you operated the ham station, K6KPH.
Running 1.5kW of CW.
I spent a few hours looking around and operating. It is a very neat place, and worth a visit if you are in the area. I'll probably go back at some point.
Cyprus Tunnel leading to the station.
Once I had had my fill of QRO, I walked back down the tunnel to my car, and drove to the end of the road at Point Reyes. There is a small parking lot here. Head up the road towards the lighthouse, then turn off to the left to get to the high point. It was very foggy here. I set up on a knoll a bit below the high point, and got on the air.
A very colorful slope down to the ocean.
SotaWatch had gone down, but there was enough cell service I could get on the Slack group and ask for contacts. Michael, KX6A was quick to respond, and both worked me and posted some alerts on other platforms. I quickly got the four contacts I needed. I then tuned around 20 for a while, and worked a few stations doing state QSO parties.
Looking north up the beach.
I heard some Hawaiian stations on 10, but they couldn't hear me. It was a short walk back to the car, then a long drive home through the North Bay traffic. Overall, a great radio-filled day on Point Reyes.

Trailhead: End of Drake Blvd.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up the road, then up to the summit..
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment