Monday, August 27, 2018

W6/CC-071 Point Reyes Hill

This was the second summit of the day, right after Mt Wittenberg. The easiest way to the top is to drive up Mt Vision Road. This is a narrow, 1.5 lane road, with some nice views. Near the summit there is a chain across the road, with a very large dirt lot just before it. Park here, then walk up the road.
Looking back at the gate across the road.
The road is paved, and provides access for the FAA facility on top. At the top there is a trail that leaves on the right. I walked a short distance down this trail to find a place to setup. The trail is wide enough I could sit on the side and not block the trail.
The FAA installation, surrounded by fences with very strong warnings.
I did not have service on the top. I was able to send out a few texts, but just barely. Luckily, SotaWatch was still up, and RBNHole was able to spot me. I worked the normal bands, 30-20-40. As I was operating the fog started to lift, and it looked like the sun would come out. It did, briefly.
Squinting in the bright almost-sun.
After I was done, I went back to the car and drove down to KPH, the old ship-to-shore station.

Trailhead: Top of Mt Vision Road
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk up the road.
Red Tape: None. Mt Vision road is narrow, be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment