Sunday, June 9, 2019

ON/ON-001 Signal de Botrange

Signal de Botrange is the highest point in Belgium. It is also an easy drive up summit. Any gps should be able to get there. It was the second summit of the day for me. I drove up and parked. There weren't many other cars or people there. The gift shop and restaurant were closed, as was the tower.
Here I am, the highest person in Belgium.
There is a mound behind the building with a staircase leading up it. I walked up and read the plaque on top. It turns out the peak is naturally only 694m, so they built the mound and platform to get up to 700m. People seem to like round numbers.
Mound and tower.
I walked around a little, then found a small clearing in the woods behind the parking lot to set up in. On the air I quickly got my contacts. I didn't linger, since the weather seemed like it might turn at any moment. This was the second country high point I've been to, after Kneiff in Luxembourg the previous day.

Trailhead: Signal de Botrange
Website: SOTA Site
Maps: AA6XA/P SOTA Map 
Route: Set up somewhere out of the way.
Red Tape: None that I'm aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment