Monday, November 9, 2020

Mt Olympia

It was the weekend before a Sierra trip, so I decided to do a run that had some elevation to prepare. I picked a loop on Mt Diablo, over Eagle Peak, North Peak, and Mt Olympia. I got to Mitchell Canyon parking around opening time, and headed up.
Shaded forest near the start.

There is a lot of vertical to get up to the summit. There's a lot to get up to Eagle Peak, which is only halfway. 
Starting to get some views.

I made good time up, stopping for some pictures on the way. It wasn't too busy yet.
North Peak from near Eagle Peak.

As I climbed higher, the wind picked up quite a bit. It was quite chilly and breezy on the summit. I had brought my radio, but didn't feel like setting up HF in the cold and wind, so I just used my HT. The band pass filter worked its magic and I could hear all the chasers.
Looking over at the main summit.

I wasn't prepared for the cold wind, so I didn't spend too long on the summit. I warmed up once I got out of the wind and started moving again. The trail down to Olympia was pretty steep in places.
Mt Olympia summit, just ahead.

The summit of Mt Olympia is underwhelming. It isn't really a peak, just the high point at the end of a ridge off of North Peak. I took some pictures at the high point, then continued on the long long descent back to Mitchell Canyon. 
Open forest in the sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment