Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Rose Hill

 Black Diamond Mines Park preserves some ghost towns from when the area was the biggest coal mining area in California. In non-Covid times, you can go on tours of the mines and such, but since everything was closed, I just went for a run. 

Overcast views.

It was overcast and chilly when the gate finally was opened and I parked in the main lot. There were a lot of people unloading bikes, and I saw lots of mountain bikers while out. I started up the hill to the east, beginning a big loop around the park.

On one ridge. 

Despite all the people I saw in the parking lots, the trails were fairly empty once you got away from the roads. It had been a few years since I had been to the park, and it was much nicer than I remember. Gorgeous open ridges with great views in all directions. Just awesome.
Imagine the spring, with green grass and wildflowers.

My first destination was Peak 919, a P300 peak in the park. 
No longer overcast!

On the way I passed by the group campsite, then Star Mine. The entrance is gated shut, but you can look down the entry shaft. I can't imagine walking down it every day for work. 
Star Mine entrance.

After going by Star mine, I started climbing up towards the top of 919. This is also the first section that was in the trees. The high point is a little distance off the trail, but it isn't a hard bushwhack. 
Back down in the valley. A very nice valley.

The top is rocky, and you can just about get above the bushes for a view. I decided to go down the west face of the hill, since that was the direction I wanted to go eventually. This was a mistake. It was super steep, and there were some short class 3 moves to get down. I would just backtrack to the trail next time.
Oak hills of the east bay.

Back on the trail I continued into a wide, gentle valley. This is one of the prettiest areas of the park, I think. On the north side there is a sign pointing out the tailings from one of the old mines. I took the trail that goes up and over the tailing pile, then climbed the rest of the way up to the ridge.
The tailings of one of the coal mines.

It was fun to be able to hike up the hill faster than the mountain bikers. Normally runners can't keep up. Up on the ridge I wound my way around to the pass above Nortonville. Here I crossed the trail, and took the use trail up the steep slope to the top of Rose Hill.
Nortonville cemetery.

The views from Rose Hill were superb. It is the highest point in the park, and it feels like you can see everything. As I was enjoying the hill, I heard some rustling in the grass. When I looked over, I saw a cat head pop up. This scared me, since I didn't know what kind of cat it was. We looked at each other, than the cat turned and walked away. I could see the small tail and knew then it was a bobcat. I might not be here writing if it had been a mountain lion.
Mount Diablo and North Peak.

After my cat encounter I decided not to hang around, and headed down the other side of the peak, back to the trail. I passed some cows, then made my way back to the car. It had been an excellent outing, and I would recommend the park to anyone, just not in the summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment