Thursday, November 12, 2020

Redwood Peak

 Redwood Regional Park is a park in Oakland that I had never been to before. The high point, Redwood Peak, is on the Nifty Ninety list, so I knew I'd go eventually. I decided to do a long run through the park and over the summit.

Serpentine prairie at the start.

I started at the Trudeau Center on Skyline Blvd. The interpretative signs here indicate the area is probably what the Bay Area looked like before Europeans arrived with their non-native plants. I took a long route through the park to the summit. 
Some of the redwoods.

It was pretty chilly in the canyons and warm on the ridges. I think there was a thermal inversion. The big canyon along Redwood Creek was quite cool. The park was much nicer than I was expecting. I thought it would be similar to Tilden, but it was much more forested and felt more wild. 
Round Top through the trees. Tomorrow's destination.

Eventually I wound my way around and up to the summit. The high point is above an archery range, but the fence is well signed to keep you out of the firing area. The summit was rocky, with lots of graffiti scratched into the rocks. Such a pity that people feel the need to do that. 
Redwood Peak summit.

On the way down there was an excellent viewpoint. A bit hazy, but a nice view.
Bay area hills.


No comments:

Post a Comment