Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Russell Peak, Briones Peak, Mott Peak

 Briones is one of my favorite parks in the area, and it is also home to three peaks on the nifty ninety list. I decided to do them in a big loop one morning.

Sunny views at the start.

I started at the Bear Creek area, and headed up the trail towards Russell Peak. It was nice and sunny when I left the car, but it quickly got cloudy and overcast. It was pretty cool up on the ridge, with the wind blowing in the cloud.
Starting to get overcast.

There was no view from Russell, and I doubt there is one even in the sun. There is a picnic table however, and it would make a nice place for a lunch.
Russell Peak summit.

I took a somewhat roundabout route from Russell over to Briones, dropping off the ridge then climbing back up. There were quite a few people near the entrance I went down to, and a surprising number of them seemed to have no idea where they were or where the trail was going. I was asked by multiple people for directions.
Somewhere near Briones Peak.

I got to Briones Peak just after 10, and set up the radio. I was hoping to make some contacts to Europe, but I think I got there a little too late. Next time. After making some contacts, I packed up. It was much colder than I was expecting in the fog.
Mott Peak.

Mott Peak is an easy walk along the ridge from Briones. There is no trail to the summit, but it is easy to walk up the hill from the trail to get there.
Heading back to the car.

After tagging Mott I made my way back down to the car. In the end I had done just over 13.1 miles, a nice half marathon to start the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment