Monday, November 2, 2020

W6/NS-219 Bailey Ridge

 After getting Bloods Ridge and Corral Hollow Hill, I drove down Highway 4 a few miles to get Bailey Ridge. The trailhead is on forest road 7N09, just past the highway maintenance station if you're heading west. 7N09 is a well graded dirt road that any car can drive up. I drove up about half a mile to just past a cattle guard where the road to the summit turns off.

7N09 is a nice road, the other one to the summit not as much.

I parked on the side of the road, and started walking up. An OHV would have no problem getting up, and an adventurous person with an SUV or truck could probably make it. Having none of those, I just walked. The first part of the road is the roughest, once it gets up on the ridge a ways it gets much smoother.
Sunny section of road.

It is a straightforward walk to the summit. There is one junction, where you go left. The summit is broad and flat, with a low density forest. Easy area to put up an antenna.
Late afternoon view through the trees.

I didn't have good cell service, but there was some. I made plenty of contacts. Once it started getting cool in the shade, I packed up and headed back to the car. The walk back was pleasant, except for when a 4-wheeler drove by and kicked up a lot of dust.
Summit area.

At the car I drove back down the hill to Calaveras Big Trees SP where I was meeting some friends for the night. 

Trailhead: Forest Road 7N09, just past the cattle guard.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go up the dirt road to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment