Thursday, November 5, 2020

W6/NS-113 Peak 9115

 It was the last day in the Sierra, and still time for one more peak. After a leisurely morning packing up camp, we drove back to my car at the end of the road. I then drove to the Woodchuck Basin trailhead to get this peak. I decided it would be easier not to go straight up like some others on Peakbagger had done.

Part of the cliff bands.

I headed up the trail to get around the cliff bands that surround much of the ridge. After about a mile I left the trail in a break in the cliffs to climb up to the ridge. This is also about where the cliff band ends. A more adventurous person could probably make a shorter hike than I did.
Almost on the ridge crest.

It was steep, but a short climb. The top of the ridge was magnificent. It was super clear, and just an awesome day to be out. On the ridge it was an easy walk around to the summit area.
The rocky summit of 9115.

The last bit is exposed rock. From a distance it looks difficult, but it is not hard to find easy ways over or around the rocks. To get to the top of the summit block requires a short, easy class 3 move. Compared to the rock on Airola the previous day, this seemed like solid granite.
Summit just ahead.

On the summit I took out my HT and made a few contacts on VHF. I figured it would be better there than down below where there was space to set up my antenna. I made a few contacts, then descended to a reasonably flat area.
On the air, just below the summit.

I thought 20m would be good, since I had made a bunch of contacts to Europe that morning, but I only got one contact. 30 and 40 were in good shape however and I made a bunch of contacts. 
Looking down into the wilderness.

It was such a nice day, I didn't want to get off the ridge, so I took a long way back to the car. I stay on the ridge until it met the trail that would take me back down. I was tempted to go all the way to Mt Reba, but decided that going that far would be a bit ambitious. The hike down the trail was quick and I was soon back at the car.
Lake Alpine, I believe.

Lucky for me, the traffic back to the bay area wasn't bad, and I made it home in time for dinner.

Trailhead: Woodchuck Basin Parking.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the trail to past the cliffs, then hike up to the ridge. Follow the ridge around to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment