Tuesday, October 24, 2017

W7I/BL-133

Peak 6667 is just north of US 93, near Craters of the Moon National Monument. It is completely on BLM land, meaning access is not a problem. I drove up from Twin Falls one afternoon to activate it. There is a dirt road that is not on the USGS maps, but visible on aerial imagery, that leads to what is marked on the USGS maps as a Gravel Pit. I went through the gate, then drove down to the gravel pit. The road was passable in a sedan, but there was a fair bit of brush growing in the middle that hit the bottom of my car. This road runs between the hill on one side and the jumbled lava flow on the other.
Parking at the edge of the gravel pit.
The gravel pit wasn't much of a pit. It was more of a small depression, and it looked like people like to come here to drink, have fires, and camp. I parked next to the road at the south end of the area, then started hiking up the road. The road gets much rougher on the other side of the pit as it climbs over a small hill. On the other side is another dirt road with a power line running parallel to it. Turn right and walk along the road. After a short distance there is an intersection with another, overgrown road that leads towards the peak.
Turn here and take the road towards the summit.
This road is also not on the USGS maps, but in the aerial imagery. It winds up through the valley, then climbs up a spur of the main peak. The road peters out after climbing about 200 feet, but the spur is easy to follow the rest of the way to the summit. There are a few steep sections, but nothing bad.
Not the summit.
Shortly before the main summit I came over a crest and saw the view above and thought I had made it. Sadly, the summit was another quarter mile past these rock fields. The top is open and flat. I picked a spot that didn't have too many pointy rocks and setup. There was excellent 4G service for the entire hike. I started on 30 meters, then did 17 and 20, getting most of the usual chasers. I thought about trying SSB, but decided not to so I could get down before sunset.
Looking to the south east. Queens Crown was easy to pick out.
I retraced my steps to get back to the car. It took me about an hour and fifteen minutes to get up and 45 to get down. This was a pleasant hike on a nice mountain, and I'm surprised that it hadn't been activated before.

Trailhead: Gravel Pit at the end of  an unmarked and unnamed road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the dirt road up over the hill, then turn right on the better maintained road on the other side. At the next intersection, turn left and follow the road to the end. Follow the spur to the top of the mountain.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment