Thursday, October 26, 2017

W7I/CI-049 Mt Harrison

Mt Harrison is an easy drive up summit. I came up after hiking up to Peak 8762 nearby. I had been in Idaho for a few weeks, and as I was driving home after activating Peak 6667 I noticed that there wasn't any snow on the summit of Mt Harrison. A call to the rangers confirmed my suspicions, that the road was open again, so I headed up the next free day I had.
Lookout at the summit.
I was the only person on top, which wasn't surprising. It was mid week, and cool, but I wasn't complaining. I hoped to setup on the second floor of the lookout, but the trapdoor was locked. Instead I sat on a rock with a view to the southeast. There was an impressive cirque just below me, and I could watch to see if Cache Peak would come out of the clouds.
View from my operating position.
 There was a very high noise floor on all the bands I tried. This combined with the deep fading and poor band conditions made it hard to pull out some chasers who are usually easy to hear. I did eventually work 10 people on 30, 17, and 20 meters. I could have stayed on top longer, but the poor conditions were making radio a chore, so I decided to pack up and head home instead.
Looking west towards another section of Sawtooth NF.

Trailhead: Drive to the summit. Top of Forest Road 549.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Find a place to setup on the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment