Monday, October 9, 2017

W7I/CI-086 Pike Mountain

Pike Mountain is an easy drive-up summit across the valley from the Magic Mountain Ski Area. I drove up after activating Deadline Ridge North on a very cold morning. To get to the summit, drive up to the top of Forest Road 507. This road is very rough in places, but my sedan was able to get up and down.
Pike Mountain summit from the parking area.
There is a decent sized lot just below the summit, and a very short and paved path that goes around the high point. I stepped off the path to stand on the high point, then went back and set up the radio and antenna on one of the benches surrounding the peak. It was around 11, so the sun was out in full force, which made it more pleasant to sit on top. Again, I had good cell service and views on top.
Deadline Ridge in the foreground.
I started on 30 meters again, then went up to 17, which was open to the east coast. Finally, I went to 20 meters, where my fourth contact was with OH9XX in Finland. I was very surprised to hear the call, but when I got home I looked him up and found he is a top chaser from Finland. This was definitely the highlight of the day.
Me, happy to have just worked Finland.
It was still cold, so I decided to stop and get warm, so I walked back to the car and drove home for a hot shower. I suppose one advantage to going out in the cold is that I didn't have to share the mountain with anyone.

Trailhead: Parking lot at the top of Forest Road 507
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk to the summit. The parking lot is also in the A.Z.
Red Tape: None.
The Sawtooth Mountains, where I was yesterday, were visible, but not with a cell phone camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment