Tuesday, October 17, 2017

W7I/CI-126 Big Cinder Butte

Big Cinder Butte is the highest point in the main area of the Craters of the Moon National Monument. There are some steep areas on the peak, but a number of ways to get up and down. I started at the trailhead along the Loop Road. I wanted to see the tree molds, so I headed down that trail.
On the trail.
This is a well graded gravel path, and it ends at the tree molds. These are places where the water in the trees cooled the lava down enough to harden it, preserving the outline of the tree. After taking a look, I headed cross-country up the hill towards the summit. The hardest part was walking through the thigh-high sagebrush. There is a small sub-peak between the tree molds and the summit, and I angled my way across the slope to avoid going over the summit.
Climb up the main peak. Use trail is visible going up the side. 
 There are some cliffs on the west side of the mountain, and I climbed up the face just north of the cliffs. This went up at a reasonable grade, all the way to the summit. The rocks making up the peak are interesting, they are extremely light. They're also easy to crush. At the top I got set up, then got on the air. I made 18 contacts on the 30, 20, 15, and 40 meter bands. There was decent service on top, but not in the rest of the park.
A convenient rock for sitting at the top.
I decided to take a more direct route back to the car, so I headed down the north face. Part way down I came across a use trail that was heading in the right direction, so I followed it. This took me around some of the steepest slopes. At the bottom I went across some lava flows, which was interesting and somewhat difficult in places.
Lava flow near the parking lot.
I would advise against going up or down the north face. It was steeper than I liked, and the west face was easier and better.

Trailhead: Trailhead parking off of the loop road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes mapNPS Maps
Route: Take the Tree Mold Trail to the tree molds. Go up the hill, to the east, and go to the summit. You may find use trails through the sagebrush.
Red Tape: None. Park roads closed in winter.

Big Cinder Butte from near the lava tubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment