Thursday, October 26, 2017

W7I/CI-060

This peak is located in one of the southern sections of Sawtooth National Forest. Pomerelle Ski Area is on the northeast face of the mountain. To get to the top for an activation I started at Twin Lakes Campground. This is a few hundred feet higher than the ski area parking lot. From the paved road, I drove straight back through the campground to the fence. There is a locked gate with a service road leading up the hill behind it.
Start of the trail: gate, with my car parked on the other side.
To get to the top, simply follow this service road to the top. A sign on the way up says that it is a blue square ski run in the winter. The road skirts around the top of the trees, and above the tops of the ski lifts. At the ski lifts the road ended and I went cross country to the high point. I found a convenient rock to sit on while I operated. It took me about 20 minutes to hike to the top from the Twin Lakes Campground.
Looking south towards Cache Peak, which was in the clouds the entire time I was on top.
The band conditions were not good, but I did get four contacts on 30 meters. I tried calling on 40 to see if the closer stations would have an easier time, but didn't get any responses. I wanted to have some daylight left to activate Mt Harrison, so I didn't spend a long time on the top.
Mt Harrison, when it finally came out of the clouds. 
The hike back was quick, and I saw a few deer as I hiked down. They were too far away to get a good picture, but I tried.

Trailhead: Twin Lakes Campground, off of forest road 549.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Cross the fence and follow the service road to the summit. In the winter, you could take the ski lifts almost to the top.
Red Tape: None.
On the way back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment