Thursday, October 12, 2017

W7I/CI-131

This unnamed peak is just north of the town of Almo, near the Utah border. There is a dirt road that runs around the base, starting from the south side, and this road is where I started. I found a place I could pull off to the side to park, then crossed the road and headed up the hill.
Start of the hike, with the destination in view.
The terrain is a reasonable steepness, and land cover is open juniper forest. On the north side of the mountain there are some cliffs, so don't stray around too far while heading up. There were a few old strands of barbed wire to cross, but I wouldn't call them fences. It took me about 30 minutes to make my way to the top. Next to the small pile of rocks I found a very small canister and log, which I signed. Not many entries in it. I also added a small rock to the top, making the peak about a half inch taller.
Set up and ready to go.
I got my antenna up, and got on 30 meters. There was intermittent cell service, so I used the text to spot to send the spots. I got a total of 12 contacts on 30 and 17 meters. It was warmer than I expected, which was nice. There were also great views. I had time to get another peak, so I didn't spend as long on top as I could have. The trip down was fast, and I was quickly back in my car and ready to drive up to the Cotterel Hills High Point.

Trailhead: Somewhere at the base of the mountain. There is an old cemetery on the east side you could start at.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Walk to the summit. North side is cliffs, inaccessible.
Red Tape: None.
Peaks in the City of Rocks National Reserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment