Wednesday, September 5, 2018

W6/NE-200 Bald Mountain

I had a long weekend for Labor Day, so I decided to spend it up in the Warner Range in Modoc County. This is a long ways away from the Bay Area, so I looked for a peak part way up that I could stop and climb to break up the drive. Bald Mountain is an easy peak near Standish, CA, along US 395 north of Reno.
Setting off.
I parked near the height of land on Byers Pass Road. This is a gravel road, but well maintained and easy for my car. There is a road junction here, and a cattle guard and gate just up the hill. This side of the road is BLM land, and I saw no signs indicating use restrictions. I set off cross country up the hill, and quickly started climbing the steep hillside.
Typical desert terrain.
I drifted around the side of the mountain a bit on my way up to avoid going over the sub-peak. While contouring around I came across a trail. It wasn't heading in the direction I wanted to go, so I crossed it and kept going. In the col below the summit I found a trail junction with a sign. Turns out there are maintained trails up the peak.
Trail map I found halfway up.
I followed the switchbacks up the slope, but then the trail started meandering around. I got tired of this, so just went straight up to the summit. It was fairly hazy, with lots of smoke in the air, but the quality didn't seem too bad. At the summit I used the post to support my pole, and got on the air.
On the air on Bald Mountain.
The bands didn't seem to be in great condition, but I didn't have trouble getting enough contacts. I didn't spent too long on top since it was hot, and I still had a few more hours to drive to the campsite. On my way back I didn't even try to follow the trail, I just went the most direct route. This was much more pleasant than using the pointless switchbacks. After dropping back down to the car, I continued on my way up 395 to Alturas and the Warner Mountains.
Looking down at my car.

Trailhead: Height of land, Byers Pass Road. There is an official trailhead, but I'm not sure where.
Website: SOTA Site. BLM Site
Route: Go up to the summit. There is a trail, but it has too many switchbacks for my taste.
Red Tape: None.


No comments:

Post a Comment