Tuesday, September 24, 2019

W6/NS-125

Day three of my Labor Day Sierra SOTA trip. I had camped along Burnside Lake Road, so I was able to get an early start. The I walked along the road to forest road 205E, then took that. Regular cars could get to this point without much trouble.
Up the path.
The road is blocked to vehicles, and is of varying quality. There were parts that were wide open, an others where I had to push through the trees and brush. Eventually the road peters out, and here I turned and went straight up the hill.
Off the road.
This section had some open rock with small cliffs, but no trouble route finding. At the ridge, turn left to get to the highest peak. The summit requires a bit of class 3 scrambling to reach the top. I set up a bit below on a wide ledge. I had great views over to Hawkins Peak, where I was heading next.
Hawkins Peak
There was no problem getting the contacts I needed. I hung out for a while enjoying the sun and views before retracing my steps back to my campsite. I took a quick break there before heading up to Hawkins Peak.
View to the south.
Trailhead: Intersection of Burnside Lake Road and 205E.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road up to where it ends, then go cross country up to the peak.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment