Saturday, September 28, 2019

W6/NS-422 Quick Benchmark

This is an easy drive up in the Sierra foothills, not too far from I-80. After driving up Colfax Hill I came over to activate this peak. The summit is in someone's backyard, but there is a large pullout a few feet below on the other side of the road, at the intersection of Bear River Ranch Road and Sun Ranch Road. Google was able to get me there with no trouble.
I used this "No Trespassing" tree to hold up my pole.
A few cars drove by as I was operating, and I waved back to them. After a little while, 2 deer came up through the bushes. They froze when they noticed me, but after seeing I was no threat, kept on browsing. One looked like a young fawn.
One of the deer.
I had a staring contest with the mom for quite a while. They only left when I got up to pack up my stuff. This is one of the nicest drive-ups I've done, and I can see why people like living in the foothills.

Trailhead: Drive up, intersection of Bear River Ranch Road and Sun Ranch Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Drive up.
Red Tape: None.
Scared deer, when it first noticed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment