Tuesday, September 10, 2019

W6/NS-380

Day two of my Labor Day Sierra trip. After climbing Little Round Top the previous day, I spend the night along Blue Lakes Road. In the morning, I drove the rest of the way to the PCT trailhead. There is a pit toilet here, and plenty of parking. After a chilly breakfast, I hit the trail.
Morning alpenglow on The Nipple.
Since its the PCT, it takes a gentle route as it climbs up the shoulder of The Nipple. I passed a few other hikers, likely thru-hikers who were heading south. I warmed up quickly once I got up and into the sun, and had to stop to shed some layers. It was a pleasant morning.
The Nipple again.
After crossing under the peak, the trail drops down to near the Lost Lakes. There are some OHV roads here, but I didn't see any vehicles. The dam construction at Blue Lakes has probably cut down on it.
Peak 9374 rising above the forest.
I took the PCT up to a shoulder, where I turned off the trail. Picking a route through the forest was easy, and it wasn't steep. When the forest ended, the slope increased and turned into large scree. It was stable enough I didn't slide around, but I had to pay attention. I made a bit of a switchback on the way up, and was soon at the summit.
Deadwood Canyon. Round Top on the right.
There is a small windbreak there, and I sat there. I put up the antenna, a nice ultra-light one made by Adam K6ARK, and was on the air. There was no problems getting HF chasers, but no one was on VHF. After I decided I had been blown around enough, I packed up and headed back down. 
Upper Blue Lake was partially drained for construction.
I took a bit of a straighter path back to the PCT, then started hiking up to get The Nipple.

Trailhead: PCT Trailhead off of Sunset Lake Road, very close to Blue Lakes Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the PCT past Lost Lakes. Turn off the trail and head up hill. If you have high clearance you could drive to the col above Lost Lakes.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment