Tuesday, September 10, 2019

W6/NS-102 The Nipple

After climbing Peak 9347, I started heading over to get The Nipple. I retraced my step along the PCT, climbing up from Lost Lakes. There is quite a drop off to the Blue Lakes from the trail, which means there are excellent views in that direction.
Looking back at one of the Lost lakes. 9347 is the peak behind them.
I wasn't sure where the best place to leave the trail was. I had seen some small cliffs on the way in, and wanted to avoid them. When I was below the col between the main summit and west summit, I saw a small use path. It appeared to be heading in the right direction, so I followed it.
The nipple at the top.
As I suspected, it took me right to the summit. There was another guy who had hiked up and was enjoying the view. I signed the register, then found an open area to setup in. It was still very breezy, but I sat on the lee side to get out of it some.
Looking over towards Markleeville (center) and Hawkins Peak.
Again, I had no trouble getting the contacts to activate the peak. It was a beautiful day, and I could have stayed up there for hours, but I was getting a bit chilly in the breeze, so I started heading down. I went straight down the side of the mountain, seeing no reason to backtrack along the use path.
Back into the trees.
I made good time down, passing a number of backpackers and day hikers who were just heading in. Always is busy in the Sierra on holiday weekends. Back at the car I headed out Blue Lake Road, then up the unpaved Burnside Lake Road to my next campsite at the foot of Hawkins Peak.

Trailhead: PCT Trailhead off of Sunset Lake Road, very close to Blue Lakes Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the PCT to the spot below the col between West Peak and the Nipple. Find the use trail, and follow it to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
View to the south from the PCT below the Nipple.

No comments:

Post a Comment