Friday, September 27, 2019

W6/NS-135 Maggies Peak South

I was in South Lake Tahoe, and it didn't seem like I'd be able to get out of town down route 50 without spending hours in traffic, so I started looking for a new peak to do. Jamie N6JFD recommended Maggies Peak South as a good peak, that wasn't too hard, and had no traffic getting to the trailhead.
Looking north at the first viewpoint.
I managed to grab a spot at the Inspiration Point parking area, and walked up through the campground to the trailhead. I filled out a day-use permit for the wilderness area, then started up the trail. There were a lot of backpackers coming down, unsurprisingly. I quickly made it up to Granite Lake, where there were still people swimming.
Granite Lake.
There were more switchbacks above the lake, and lots more people coming out. Where the trail stops climbing and starts contouring around the backside of the peak, I found a use trail that took me up to the summit. The top was not as open as I had thought it would be, but there were still excellent views.
Lake Tahoe, Cascade Lake, Fallen Leaf Lake.
I set up and got on the air. Still plenty of chasers to work while enjoying the excellent view.
Looking into the Desolation Wilderness.
I could have spent hours on top, but I was planning to drive up to the north end of the lake to camp, so I didn't spend too long. It was a quick hike back down, and seemed steeper than on the way up. Back at the car I drove around to the base of Gold Star Peak, my first one for tomorrow.
Wilderness boundary.
Trailhead: Inspiration Point. There is trailhead parking at the back of the campground.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail into the wilderness, past Granite Lake. When the trail levels off, take one of the use trails up to the summit.
Red Tape: Self-issued permit required for day use of Desolation Wilderness. Fill out at trailhead kiosk.

No comments:

Post a Comment