Saturday, September 28, 2019

W6/NS-189 Gold Star Peak

This peak is an easy walk and nice place for an activation. I had camped at the base of the peak, where the TRT crosses the road. There was a pretty nice sunset through the trees that night.
Sunset at my campsite.
In the morning I packed up and headed up the hill. I took the Tahoe Rim Trail a short distance, then bushwhacked up to the summit. There is no trail. The slope is gentle, and it is an open forest, so no problems getting up to the top.
Open area at the top.
There was some sort of logging that started nearby shortly after I got to the summit, so it wasn't as quiet and peaceful as I expected. I brought up my kx3 and made plenty of contacts. I didn't spend too long, since I still had a long drive back home to do.
TRT back near the car.
Trailhead: Where TRT crosses Mt Watson Road, below the summit.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Hike up to the top. Easy bushwhack.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment