Friday, September 27, 2019

W6/NS-248

I had an ambitious day planned, but Labor Day traffic forced me to change it. First I would get this peak and Tahoe Mountain, then drive down 50 to the Big Hill area to get some peaks there. I left my campsite near Burnside Lake early, and drove out the rough dirt road. From the pavement it was a quick drive up 89 to the trailhead for this peak at Sawmill Pond.
Start of the trail.
I didn't have a good map of the area, so I just followed roads and trails that seemed to go in the right direction. It turns out there is an OHV area on the south end of the ridge, and there are some roads that climb up to the ridge. I followed some to get up.
On top of the ridge. First views of the lake.
There is one main road that  runs most of the length of the ridge. Take this road towards the summit. The last section up to the summit requires some off trail walking, but it was easy to pick my way up. The hardest part was finding a way up to the flagpole at the summit without needing to climb any cliffs. I probably didn't take the most efficient route, but I made it.
Looking to the west.
I sat with a view of the airport, and got on the air. There was no trouble getting the contacts, and I had the peak to myself. I watched a few planes take off, probably bringing vacationers home after the holiday weekend. I took the same route back, but a bit straighter, since I knew where some of the trails went.
Looking over to Tahoe Mountain, my next peak.
Talking with Jamie N6JFD later, he told me there's a better trail that comes in from the north. If he hasn't posted it, send him a note for the beta.

Trailhead: Sawmill Pond parking area
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the road up to the ridge, then along the ridge. When the road stops following the ridge, bushwhack up to the summit. There is a different route up from the north.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment