Monday, August 2, 2021

W6/CT-025 Josephine Peak

 After activating Hoyt Mountain and Peak 4202, I started up the trail to Josephine Peak. There is a fire road all the way to the top, maintained for the tower on the summit. This meant the hike wouldn't be as steep as Hoyt, but it would be a lot longer.

Just past the trailhead gate.

This would be a great peak to do by bike. I had just arrived by plane however, so nothing that easy for me. It was hot as I started, but I figured I had enough water to make it to the summit. I began the trudge to the top.
Finally getting some views.

As you climb the views get better. I was hoping there'd be some breeze higher up, but I was disappointed. The first half of the climb is on the south side of the ridge. At a col between Josephine and Strawberry the road crosses over and climbs up the rest of the way on the north side.
Almost at the summit.

I was regretting my decision to go up, but I made it to the top without much trouble. It is not steep, except the last little bit after the road ends. There wasn't any shade on top, so I just picked a spot to sit that was comfortable and had a nice view.
Sign on top in case you forget where you are.

There was no cell service on this summit either, but some local 2m chasers were willing to spot me, so I had a good run on the HF bands I used. By this point I still had a four mile walk back to the car, and not much water, so I packed up and headed back. It seemed like a really long walk down, but that was probably because of the lack of water.
Looking back at the two peaks I had done earlier.

Back at the car I turned the AC on full, and headed down the hill to my hotel, ready for a shower and meal.

Trailhead: Just down the hill from Switzer Visitor Center.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the fire road (2N64) up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment