Friday, August 6, 2021

W6/CT-226 Cerro Negro Benchmark

 I was finally done with work in SoCal, so I headed back to the airport. My flight was later, so I had some time to stop by a peak. I decided on an easy on, Cerro Negro Benchmark. For those who want to be lazy, like I did, the place to park is the top of Sugar Loaf Drive. Looking at a map, this last house may be inside the activation zone, and just inside the gate certainly is. So this peak could be even easier than it already is.

Standing behind the car, looking at the trailhead.

There are lots of signs forbidding overnight parking, but none seemed to ban day parking. So I parked under a tree in front of the last house on the street. From here it is a very short walk up to the summit.
Lots of RF on top.

On the summit I set up in the only shady spot I saw, under some trees right near the fence. On the radio, 20 and 40 were basically unusable from all the interference. However, 17 and 30 were ok, so I did make some HF contacts. My second was a summit-to-summit with Dave N6AN. He asked how long I'd be up, and said he might come over. 
Great views of the San Gabriel Mountains.

About an hour later, a guy with two poles in his pack appeared just below the summit. Dave had left his nearby summit, driven over, and hiked up jus to say hi. We talked for a while while I made a few VHF contacts. All good things must end, though, and I had to say goodbye so I could get to the airport on time. Next time maybe we'll be able to do some summits together.

Trailhead: Top of Sugar Loaf Dr. Don't block the gate.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go up the trail, make a U-turn at the flat spot up to the summit.
Red Tape: None. Parking hours on Sugar Loaf Dr limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment