Monday, August 2, 2021

W6/CT-150

 After getting Hoyt Mountain I drove over to the Switzer Visitor Center, at the intersection of the Angeles Crest and Angeles Forest highways. I wasn't sure where to park, so parked in the big dirt area across from the visitor center. I didn't see any signs forbidding it, and I didn't get a ticket, so it must've been ok.

Pit toilet at the start.

There is a well worn use trail that goes to the top of this peak. It starts at a gate just to the left of the pit toilet. Go through the gate and up the hill. This peak is much easier than nearby Hoyt. It is a similar distance, but much less elevation. 
Always impressive views in Angeles NF. Looking east along the road.

I made it to the top pretty quickly. After putting up my antenna I was surprised to have cell service. Not sure why this peak has it but the nearby ones don't. 
On the summit.

It was no problem getting contacts. I did wish there was some shade though. It was getting pretty toasty in the sun!
Managed to use a yucca to hold up the pole without stabbing myself.

Back at the road I crossed it and walked down to the Josephine Peak Road to get myself one more summit.

Trailhead: Switzer Visitor Center, behind the toilet.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Go through the gate to the left of the bathroom, then follow the use trail up to the top.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment