Thursday, August 5, 2021

W6/SS-620

 Another week in SoCal meant more summits in the southern Sierra. Today I had a few summits planned, none with names. First up was Peak 8137. I parked along Sacatar Trail in Kennedy Meadows. There is a road that goes up to the col between this peak and 7540, but I didn't see anywhere to stop at the base, so I parked a few yards to the west in a pullout.

Open forest on the way up.

I started up the road, but it seemed to be veering away from where I wanted to go, so I stopped taking it and just went cross country up to the col. This is a pleasant walk, not too steep. At the col I turned right and went down a little to the stream bed. This I followed to the reentrant I had decided would be a good route up to the summit.
Started getting views as I went up.

I took the reentrant, then stayed on the ridge to the left as best as I was able. At the top of this climb is a small flat area between three sub-peaks. One of them is on the main ridge, connected to the highest peak. I decided the best way would be to go around the left (north) side of this peak and up to the summit. Overall this was a decent route up.
My car is parked somewhere down there.

There was no cell service on top, as I expected. I put up the antenna, and was soon making contacts. I had good luck compared to the previous weekend when I was in the area. It didn't seem too hot, and I enjoyed taking in the views from the summit. My original plan was to go down to the north, and then climb up to Peak 8819. I started this, getting down to the col quickly. I then climbed up the first 200 feet, and realized I was tired and didn't have enough water to safely make it. So I turned around.
Starting up towards 8819.

Back at the col I decided the best route to Peak 7540 would be to follow the drainage to the northwest, then return to the first col, with the road. I did this and soon found myself at that col.

Trailhead: Sacatar Trail road. See map. The road seemed a bit sketchy in the sedan I had, and might be impassable without clearance or 4WD if its wet.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the road up to the col. Drop down to the drainage on the other side, and follow it up. At a good point, head up to the summit.
Red Tape: None. Hike is entirely on BLM land.

No comments:

Post a Comment