Thursday, August 5, 2021

W6/SS-621

 After activating Peak 8137 and attempting 8819, I returned to the col where I started, ready to get another peak. 

Backside of 7540, from the drainage to the north.

From the col it is a very steep hike up to the top, but class 2 all the way. I don't think there is any path that is particularly better than another. Go to the mountain and find your own way up. If it starts feeling too sketchy, stop and there's a better way nearby.
First visitor since Bob Burd placed a log!

On top I found a new register, that had been placed a few months ago by the famous Bob Burd. I was the first to sign it since then, not surprising seeing how this is not a particularly interesting peak.
On the air.

I put up the antenna, and was not surprised to find there was no cell service. RBN did its job however, and I mad plenty of contacts. There were enough rocks on the top that I had a pretty comfortable seat, and I could have spent a long time up there. It was getting warm however, so I packed up and headed back.
The town of Kennedy Meadows.

After carefully making my way back to the col, I discovered that there was a road that ended there. I guessed that this was the road I had parked at the bottom of, so I followed it down. I was right, and I could've had an easier walk up a few hours earlier if I had know. Oh well, part of the excitement of doing off-trail peaks. Back at the car I chugged some gatorade, and started back down to civilization.

Trailhead: Sacatar Trail road. See map. The road seemed a bit sketchy in the sedan I had, and might be impassable without clearance or 4WD if its wet.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the road up to the col, then go up to the summit on the left.
Red Tape: None. Hike is entirely on BLM land.

No comments:

Post a Comment