Tuesday, November 7, 2023

W6/SD-152 Bell Mountain

This was the third peak of the Victorville Threesome I hiked. After Catholic Hill and Little Bell Mountain was Bell Mountain. This was the hardest of the three peaks. The trailhead for this peak is south of the summit. From Dale Evans Parkway head west on a dirt road. Google calls it Falchion Road, but I can't find this name on other maps. At the intersection with what Google calls Vega Road turn right and head north as far as you can. In a sedan I could get about a quarter mile down this final road. There was a nice place to turn around and park out of the way, so I decided to not risk getting stuck.

Bell Mountain from the trailhead.

I then walked up the road a bit to a sheltered area. In the satellite view I was able to see a trail, but I couldn't find it on the ground, so I just started going up the hill. It was steep. When I got to the ridge, I crossed the trail. It was a good place to find it, since above me on the ridge were some cliffs and the trail nicely routed around them. With the trail, it was easy to find my way up to the summit. There is a flagpole with a flag, and, appropriately, a bell. I signed the register and got on the air.
Its a steep hike to the summit.

There was good cell service, but no chasers. I called for a while on 20m, but didn't get anyone. Maybe it was too late in the day to get east coast people. Down on 40m I called, and barely got four contacts. Not the best activation, but it was successful. And I didn't get blown away in the strong wind.
On the way down I followed the trail all the way to the base. There were some nice switchbacks lower down, and it was much more pleasant.
Looking back at the two other summits I did.

Back at the car I headed back to the pavement for the long drive to Ridgecrest. Along 395 there was an accident, with multiple campers in pieces on the side of the road with a crane lifting one onto something. Glad I missed the big jam I'm sure that caused. Be careful driving!

Trailhead: South of the summit, at the corner of Vega and Falchion Roads. Or as far up as you can drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Find the trail, and follow it to the summit. It is not obvious from the OHV roads where the trail is.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment