Tuesday, November 7, 2023

W6/SD-186, Catholic Hill

This peak is one of three that I call the Victorville Threesome, three peaks along the same ridge, more or less. Catholic Hill was the first I did this day, and the easiest. I parked near the corner of Sylvan and Roanoke Roads in Apple Valley. There is a paved and gated road that leads up to a big water tank on the side of the hill.

At the start of the hike.

I walked up the pavement to the tank, then along the fence. On the other side there was a break in the small cliff that I could scramble up. From here, I just followed the ridge up to the summit. The terrain is covered in big rocks, so a bit of care is needed to find a way through, but it wasn't difficult.
Almost at the top.

There is a large cross on top, along with some solar garden lights. I suppose they like to have it lit up at night. Either way, it was a convenient support for my antenna pole. The radio gods must've heard my prayers, since I quickly got five contacts. I did, however, pick a bad place to sit. One crawling with red ants. After the first bite I hurried up a bit. It was also the day after Pacificon, where the Elecraft KH1 was announced, so I was really sad I didn't have one. It would've been the perfect summit for it.
Views of Apple Valley

I mostly took the same way down, but I cut down to the road at one of the small cols, before I got back to the water tank. This saved a little distance, but was a bit steep. Probably wouldn't have been fun to go up. Back I the car I headed a minute down the road to the base of Little Bell Mountain, the second of the threesome.

Trailhead: Apple Valley, corner of Sylvan and Roanoke Roads.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Walk up the paved road to the water tank, then follow the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None. Don't block the gate.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment