Tuesday, November 14, 2023

W6/SD-472

Ridgecrest is a strangely named city. The name implies it is on top of a hill, but it is actually in a basin, near a dry lake bed. Nowhere near the crest of a ridge. This peak, however, is on the crest of the ridge south of town. I drove up 395 to the starting point for this unnamed peak. Boundry Road heads off to the east from the highway. I only had a sedan, so I was able to drive about half a mile up the sandy road. With a jeep or similar you could drive to the summit.

Decisions....

The hike is pretty straightforward. Just follow Boundary Road until you get to the summit. As simple as this sounds, however, I still managed to make some wrong turns. Some of the junctions are not signed, and didn't appear on the map I had. I did walk past some benches and art set up in the middle of the desert. Not sure if this is a rest area or a campground or something like that. I didn't stop. 

Some benches at a campsite?

The relief is fairly low in this area, and there are a lot of small hills that look like they could be the summit. You have to walk past a few, and over the sides of some. The highest point is pretty rocky, and there is a turn around area for vehicles. Like most places in the desert, there is plenty of space. I found a nice rock to sit on off to the side of the road, and put up my antenna. 
Summit area with Ridgecrest below.

I had a nice view of Ridgecrest as I operated, and very good cell service. The bands were decent, and I had no problems getting my contacts. Not sure if there are many hams in Ridgecrest, but it would be a good place to get them on 2m. Once I was done, I packed up and retraced my steps back to the car. This time, however, I did a better job following Boundary Road, and had a slightly shorter hike back. 
Watch out for the cholla.


Trailhead: As far along Boundary Road as you want to or can drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Walk along Boundary Road until you get to the summit. There are plenty of other OHV trails if you want to make a loop or get some variety.
Red Tape: None. If driving, follow the signs about where you can and can't drive.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment