Tuesday, November 7, 2023

W6/SD-181, Little Bell Mountain

The middle peak of the Victorville Threesome, Little Bell Mountain. After hiking Catholic Hill I drove a few minutes down the road to the base of this one. There is an access point for some OHV trails along Corwin Road, just across from Waalew Road. Since I only had a sedan, I pulled into the wide area just off the road and parked. A jeep or similar could get much closer. 
The peak is in the middle of the frame.

From here, a sub-peak is closer, then the peak. I followed the OHV roads to the base of the col between the two peaks. From here it looked a bit better to go up the ridge on the right (north) to the main ridge, but going up the reentrant would probably have been fine.
Plenty of interesting desert plants out there.

It did not take me too long to climb up to the ridge. From here I just had to follow it along until I got to the high point. There was a small false summit on the way. This peak was much better for playing radio than Catholic Hill. Much more space on top, and no ants to attack. I was still pining after the KH1, but not as badly. There were also more chasers, or maybe I just wasn't so impatient. Cell service was excellent on top.
Looking down my route up and down the hill.

I took the same route back down. At the base I had to be careful, since there were so many paths to take and the car was hidden in the big creosote bushes. But my trusty GPS watch led me back without problems. Now I had done two summits, it was time to get number three, Bell Mountain.

Trailhead: Across from Waalew Road, as far as you're willing to drive.
Website: SOTA Site.
Route: Find your way to below the col, then head up to the main ridge. Turn right and follow it to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: Coming Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment