Monday, July 19, 2021

W6/SC-323 Merriam Mountains High Point

 After activating nearby Owens Peak, I drove a few miles down the road to get this peak. The start for this hike is the end of Lawrence Welk Ct. There is a big turnaround with a gated dirt road at the end. Follow the dirt road around the side of the hill.

Trailhead.

The road goes around the side of the hill, not gaining very much elevation. When it reaches a south-facing canyon, it turns and goes up. This is the steepest part of the climb. 
Heading up.

It was pretty warm, but the breeze on the ridge made it more bearable. From the ridge top, follow the dirt road over towards the summit. There are a lot of undulations on the road, and it did not look drivable. 
One of the water tanks on the ridge. 

Eventually you'll reach a maintained dirt road. Turn left here, and follow it up to near the summit. The final climb requires some more steep climbing. The highest point is a stone block. I didn't try climbing it. I set up my antenna just past it along the road. Good cell service on top. From the summit I could see a route down that looked like it might be slightly easier. I continued down the road to the north back to the main road, then cut across a different trail to the one I had taken up.
,
View across I-15.

I was getting hot and tired at this point, so after I got back to the car I just went to get dinner instead of attempting another peak. 
 

Trailhead: End of Lawrence Welk Ct.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail around then up the canyon to the ridge. Follow the ridge over to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment