Tuesday, July 13, 2021

W6/SC-453 Twin Peaks

 This was the third and final summit of the day, after Peak 1190. The trailhead for this peak is at a community park, at the corner of Silverset and Shadowline. I parked on the road under a tree to try and keep my car cool. Not sure it helped much.

Start of the trail, with the summit in sight.

There are a lot of trails, both official and unofficial, and my map wasn't very good, so I just made my best guess and headed up the hill. It seems my choices to go up towards the summit were correct, since I got there after some hiking, without needing to do any backtracking or bushwhacking.
View on the way up.

There isn't a lot of room to string out an antenna on the summit, so I was glad I was the only one up there. I did manage to find enough room, and was soon on the air. As you'd expect, there is plenty of cell service on top. After working all the HF chasers, I tried VHF. I was able to get K6ARK through Woodson Mtn. 2m has strange propagation sometimes.
Rock at the summit, much like the one I sat at.

One of the locals warned me to be careful going down, there's a lot of places to make a wrong turn. Despite this warning and following my watch, I still managed to get off route briefly. That area could use some maintenance to stop the non-trails.

Trailhead: Silverset Neighborhood Park, corner of Silverset Street.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail up the hill to the summit. Lots of trails on the hill.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment