Saturday, July 17, 2021

W6/SC-335 Cowles Mountain

 I had some time to kill in San Diego, so I decided to do a relatively easy summit. I hadn't done Cowles yet, so I headed over to the trailhead. I started at the trailhead at the corner of Navajo and Golfcrest. The parking lot was full, but there was plenty of roadside parking just past the lot. 

Trailhead.

This is obviously a very popular area. There is a bathroom and water fountain at the trailhead, and lots of signs warning hikers to bring water and be prepared. As I headed up the trail I could see it was wide and well worn. Since it was Sunday evening, there weren't too many people out, but it was still pretty busy.
Cowles on the left.

The trails are well worn and marked, and it was easy to find my way up to the top. As you climb, the views of San Diego county get better. I could also see why there were so many warning signs at the base. Even in the evening it was pretty warm hiking up, with no shade.
Getting closer.

There were a bunch of people hanging out at the summit, so I didn't try to setup there. Instead I went over towards the towers just below the peak. I didn't want to get too close, so I set up along the access road, stringing my antenna along the side of the road. I wasn't expecting any trucks to come up.
Summit towers.

It was just after Field Day, so I wasn't expecting a big pileup. Since it was just before the UTC day rollover, I thought I might get a bunch of chasers twice, but the only person to call me on the first day was John ZL1BYZ. Eventually I got people on all the bands I had. I put away the antenna, then called on VHF, where there were some more locals.
Slopes at golden hour.

By this point it was getting late, and I was getting hungry. So I packed up and headed down to find a restaurant for dinner. Even as I went down there were still people going up to the summit. A popular area indeed.

Trailhead: Corner of Navajo and Golfcrest. There is a small lot, and plenty of street parking.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail up the hill to the summit. Lots of trails on the hill.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment