Monday, July 19, 2021

W6/SC-454 Owens Peak

 It was my last trip to San Diego for a while, so I decided to make the most of it. After landing at the airport, I headed up to the start of this peak, in a neighborhood. The trailhead is on Via Barquero, between two houses. 

Trailhead.

There seem to be a lot of trails on the mountain, but I didn't see any signs at intersections. Maybe the city of San Marcos has a map somewhere, but I didn't look for one. It was still fairly easy to find my way to the summit. Just head up the hill, then to the left until you get to the high point. 

Looking back at the trailhead neighborhood.

On top I set up on the side of the trail. There is enough brush on top that there are no views unless you are standing up. It was pretty warm, but I put on enough sunscreen so I wouldn't get burned. The cell service on top was excellent, as I expected it would be. 
Looking back at my operating position.

I wanted to do another summit or two that afternoon, so I didn't hang out on top too long. The hike back was quick, with some slippery sections in my worn out shoes. Back at the car I cranked up the AC and headed over to the trailhead for the Merriam Mountains high point.

Trailhead: Via Barquero, between two houses.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the trail up the hill to the summit. Lots of trails on the hill.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment