Tuesday, July 13, 2021

W6/SC-368 Denk Mountain

 Another trip through San Diego meant more time to get some summits. I had a big, three-summit day planned this time. First up was Denk Mountain.

Start of the trail, a wide fire road.

I parked near the intersection of Fallsview Rd and Dove Tail Dr, under a tree. Around the corner was a park with the trail heading up from there. I took the left junction, which started uphill pretty quickly. After a short distance the road ended and it became a steep single track trail.
Happy on the summit.

At the top of the single track is a water tank. Turn left here, and follow one of the roads or trails up to the summit. I would advise against taking the switchbacks, they are horribly flat and long. Maybe good for bikes, but not hikers. The top wasn't busy, and I set up at the table under the shelter. I was able to keep my antenna wire high enough that I didn't have to worry about people getting tangled in it.
MTR in action.

There is excellent service, and spotting was not a problem. I didn't linger, since I had two other summits I wanted to get that day. I went down the same way, but avoided the terrible switchbacks. It was a pleasant and easy hike, and nice operating at the summit.

Trailhead: On Google Maps, its called "Mahogany Park", on Dove Tail Dr between Burbury and Fallsview.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the left trail up the hill to the water tank. Turn left and take one of the trails up to the summit.
Red Tape: None.

No comments:

Post a Comment