Monday, May 30, 2022

W6/CT-165

 After activating Burn Benchmark, I drove up the Sierra Highway to Mint Canyon Road. A short distance in, turn right onto Petersen Road. Under the power lines, across from where the PCT goes into the hills, there is a pullout big enough for one or two cars. I parked here, crossed the road, and started hiking north on the PCT.

PCT, and tower access road.

The PCT follows some fire roads here, that are probably also used to access the power pylons. After around half a mile, the PCT turns left and I turned right, to go up the ridge. There was a short distance more on the dirt road, then I turned onto what appears to be an old fire break.

The PCT climbs up that valley to Mt McDill.

I followed the fire break all the way to the summit. Near the bottom it goes over a few bumps before climbing up. Near the top, it it nearly flat. I think most of the high area is in the activation zone, but I decided to go all the way to the high point at the far end of the ridge.

Cactus still blooming!

I had good cell service as I put up my antenna. The views down into the valley were nice, and there was a pleasant breeze to help keep me cool. It was close to lunch time, and I was getting hungry, so I only did 20m and 40m. Despite this, I got lots of contacts.

Linked end fed halfwave on the summit.

The hike down the fire break was quick. Back on the PCT, I passed a pair of thru hikers. I guess it is still the season for them to be passing through this area.

Trailhead: Across from the PCT on Petersen Road.
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take the PCT for 0.5mi. Turn right, then follow the road and firebreak up the ridge to the summit.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment