Monday, May 23, 2022

W6/ND-326 Rosamond Hills

 After activating Castle Butte, I drove back down the highway towards Rosamond, where my goal was the Rosamond Hills high point. The trailhead I chose was between 58th and 60th streets, at the base of the butte on the north side. The road is dirt, but well maintained and passable in any car. 

Heading up the steep part.

From here there is a steep OHV road that goes up to the ridge. There were obvious tire tracks, so people must drive up it, but I wouldn't want to. I hiked up. The wind was still really moving, and it seemed a lot faster up on the ridge. Once on the ridge, I turned left and went cross country up to the high point.
I think these rocks were the high point.

As I was walking over, I could see another peak to the side that looked to be a similar height. However, the topo map said I was on the correct peak. Once I got to the high point, I found a sheltered place and put up the antenna. I was a bit worried about the pole in the wind, but it was ok. Cell service was good. 
The other peak, that isn't quite the summit, had a cross on top.

Once I was done, I retraced my steps back down. This went fine until I started heading down the wrong spur. I noticed before I got too far, and was able to cut across the side of the hill and get back to the right path. The road was steep going down, but the footing seemed good. Back at the car I drove out and around to Willow Springs Butte for another activation. 

Trailhead: Between 58th and 60th streets, base of the butte, north side. The dirt road does not have a name on any map I've found. 
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Follow the OHV road up to the ridge, then go cross country to the summit.
Red Tape: None.
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment