Friday, May 13, 2022

W6/CT-263

 I had just finished hiking Whitaker Peak, and was back at the junction below the communications towers. I was a bit tired, but it seemed silly not to go the extra mile up to the peak for the activation, so up I went. 

Ruby Canyon

It is a bit over a mile, and about 350 vertical feet up to the summit. There is a picnic table on the other side of a fence, and just past this a fire break goes up to the summit. It would be nice if the table was in the activation zone, but it is definitely too low. I made good time up to the top, where I set up along the side of the road. There was no problem spotting, I had good cell service. 

Set up on the ridge.

I didn't spend too long making contacts since it was getting late, and I still needed to hike down and drive to the hotel. Getting down was easy, just follow the road all the way back to the car. Overall it was a great day of SOTA and peak bagging.

Trailhead: Golden State Highway at 6N53
Website: SOTA Site.
Maps: AA6XA SOTA Hikes map.
Route: Take Whitaker Peak Road, 6N53, to the junction, then turn right.
Red Tape: None. 
Video: ham_bitious YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment